[governance] Breakdown of IGF 2009 participants by region and

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Apr 15 13:41:10 EDT 2010

>Yes, unfortunately, LAC continues to be the most under-represented
>region. Since our problems are not perceived as being as "critical"
>as Africa, we tend to be under-funded from outside sources, while
>our governments do not/cannot give it the priority we would like to
>see. It is a dilemma that should be addressed specifically.

What might be helpful is more detailed information, a way to get that
would be to redesign the registration form so the information can be
sorted as Carlos, Deirdre suggest. A lot of information collected but
not in a way that is as useful as it might be. Would some of our MAG
members be willing to take this on.

I doubt we'd ever get good information about who was/wasn't funded to
attend.  Canada has give quite large amount (for I think all IGFs to
date, and with not a lot of public acknowledgement -- IGC might make
a comment about that sometime) that's been administered by the ITU,
but there's not been a breakdown of who (stakeholder/region) received
it.  My guess is there must have been more funding, but likely in
smaller parcels so even more difficult to understand.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org