[governance] Breakdown of IGF 2009 participants by region and

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Thu Apr 15 11:03:05 EDT 2010

Low but of high quality! :)

Seriously, if Adam's concern is civil society participation, to go
deeper into the reasons one needs more information on who exactly have
been the participants per sector and region. Maybe this is available
(the full roster, with the designation of each by interest group and
region).  Is the percentage of a region heavily biased by government and
business, for example? LA&C could have a large percentage of government
delegates, Asia of business and so on... is this data available?

Southern civil society is constrained by resources and by the lack of
interest in the IGF. Only now some civil society sectors are perceiving
the importance of following IG issues, and maybe this is the case in all
regions. The latest South SSIG had a significant participation of ngo
students who had never before considered IG as relevant -- and their
reaction after the course was very positive.

Interesting to note that the World Social Forum, as an example of
massive worldwide mobilization of ngos and social movements, mostly
ignores the issue or treats it as fringe.

frt rgds

--c.a.

Adam Peake wrote:
> Again, participants from Latin America and the Caribbean is low. Has
> been for all IGFs (expect Rio... when LAC participants represented 35%
> of the total, but of those 29% were from Brazil.)
>
> Adam
>

>> Interesting indeed, Ginger. I assume the classification is on the basis
>> of self-defined categories as written in the registration forms. I am
>> particularly curious about the relatively large participation of the
>> "technical and academic" community.
>>
>> []s fraternos
>>
>> --c.a.
>>
>> Ginger Paque wrote: