[governance] Reposting Workshop 3: Transnational enforcement of a new information order – Issues of rights and democracy

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Apr 15 05:34:21 EDT 2010

Hi Bill

Will first deal with the 'quibble' , because it sets up the rest of my
argument.

 >> Internet is shaping a new global information and knowledge paradigm
or order. (Parminder)

 > Small quibble, paradigms and social orders are not the same thing. (Bill)

'Or' here is not used to suggest same-ness, but to mean 'whichever way
one may be inclined to take it'. Information and communication (I & C)
paradigm would  a more conservative, perhaps functionalist, way to
seeing it, and 'I & C order' a more political way, perhaps even
suggesting power imbalances, dominations etc.

The suggested tittle of the workshop 'Transnational (or trans-border)
enforcement of a new information order – Issues of rights and democracy'
deliberately  carries the  term  'order'.

What is suggested is not so much one-off enforcements (though that
issues is also implicated) but an overall enforcement of a new 'I and C'
order through ACTA like globally non-democratic treaties which would of
course either  become the default on which big companies will provide or
withdraw service (private enforcements) or/ and its provisions will be
more or less forced upon less powerful countries through bilateral FTAs.

Also to note that officials associated with FTA have often said this is
strictly about 'enforcement' and not new IP regimes, but many in the
civil society and some others think it is a new IP regime with clear
global aspirations and implications.

(The main term used in the workshop name is 'transnational enforcement'
and 'trans-border enforcement' is included as one part within it).

It is significant to see that on the Internet 'borders' have a very
different meanings, and trans-border enforcements thus take very
different dimensions. Would cutting off services and connectivity for IP
violation also operate at and through global interconnection points
and/or through recognising IP address of some countries? Some such
things already happen.

We would also like to include trade embargo issues on the Internet -
like denial of many services by US based companies to countries like
Iran and Syria, and well, also, Pakistan ( e-payment services for
instance). In fact, such trade embargo issues are mentioned in the
Vilnius program document.

 >After all, ACTA is a plurilateral response to the increasing
difficulties its protagonists have faced getting their way >in
multilateral settings like WIPO, and to the perceived inadequacies and
costs of building an architecture through >unilateral imposition and
bilateral FTAs...

While we should certainly compare  WIPO  and ACTA  settings, and that is
a central intention of the proposed workshop, the above seem to me  to
be letting off ACTA protagonists too easily, and simplisitically. But
you are of course entitled to your views, and these can be discussed at
the proposed workshop.

 It is my view that, what problems they face at WIPO have largely to do
with the fact that these protagonists are in a hurry to construct a
maximalist global IP architecture to ensure that it becomes the basis
for their continued global domination.

But please do suggest changes to the workshop note, as may others.

Parminder