[governance] Clinton Admits: "Free" Trade is Harmful to 3rd

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 01:19:19 EDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 10:18 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
> [...]

Others have different defintions:
http://economics.about.com/cs/economicsglossary/g/naturalmonopoly.htm

Definition: A natural monopoly is a situation where for technical or
social reasons there cannot be more than one efficient provider of a
good. Public utilities are usually considered to be natural
monopolies.

> Like many techies with no background in political economy,

I have a degree in the social sciences.

> you are confusing the need for coordination and exclusive assignment with a monopoly in the supply of a service. They are distinct. And the distinction is significant.
>
> Natural monopoly theory asserts that a service supplier is a monopoly because it has the lowest marginal cost across the entire market, due to economies of scale and scope. It becomes immediately clear that a single entity (IANA) almost certainly does not have economies of scale and scope in the supply of registration services sufficient to make it the exclusive supplier of such services. If they did, there would be only one such entity, and you should be arguing for the abolition of all RIRs. Indeed, taking the logic even farther you should argue that there should be no LIRs, either. All assignments should come directly from IANA.

Like they did originally?  Like many (port numbers and protocol numbers) do now.

> Doesn't sound so good, does it?So obviously what you intend to say is that the root should be coordinated to ensure global compatibility of addressing

that too.

>- not that the root is a "natural monopoly."

Seems fairly "natural" to me, but what do I know, I'm just a "techie".

 And as we have learned from the liberalization of telecoms, there are
numerous ways to retain universal connectivity while breaking up
monopolies.

> These discussions would be a lot easier to have, and more productive, if the technical community was willing to listen to forms of expertise other than engineering and computer science.

Your experience as a member of the ARIN community belies this!

--
Cheers,

McTim
     governance at lists.cpsr.org