[governance] Reposting Workshop 3: Transnational enforcement of a new information order – Issues of rights and democracy

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Sun Apr 11 09:06:56 EDT 2010

(Awaiting final text from Parminder, but here is his summary.)

Basically we will discuss issues that have come up around ACTA (for instance see the latest posting on IP watch at http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/?p=10061  )  as the main focus. However some other issues may also come up - like Google - China stand-off, Google's appeal to US gov to consider global information flows as a trade issue and use trade related enforcements in this area, Google and others cutting off or limiting their services to countries on US's trade sanctions list (trade embargo issues and IG is mentioned in the Vilnius  program document), non availability of major online payment systems in countries like Pakistan etc .....

The attempt here is to move beyond the focus on governance of the basic technical/ logical  infrastructure  (ICANN etc) also to the governance of the emerging global information infrastructure. (At a still different level, though connected, is the governance of the social interactions/ networking infrastructure, but that is not something this workshop will get into).

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

CI is 50
Consumers International marks 50 years of the global consumer movement in 2010.
Celebrate with us as we continue to support, promote and protect consumer rights around the world.
http://www.consumersinternational.org/50

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.