[governance] Workshop Proposal for Vilnius - City-TLDs: Impact, Best Practices, Governance

Thomas Lowenhaupt toml at communisphere.com
Sun Apr 11 03:37:49 EDT 2010

Roland,

Here's something I wrote a while ago that sought to put the Net (and ICANN) into an historic perspective with regard to cities.
  Imagine that in 1983 Vint Cerf had visited a global city like New York, climbed the steps to City Hall and said to Mayor Koch that he and Jon Postel had begun thinking about an Internet enhancement that would make it easier to find the cities digital resources. That they were thinking of calling it the Domain Name System (DNS) and using names such as .com, .org and .edu.

  And imagine Vint explaining his vision about this new technology's prospect for addressing the multiplicity of city needs; concluding with a plea that the mayor gather the world's smartest minds in New York City, help detail a desired DNS's feature-set and in the process develop a model that other cities might follow.

  But as we all know, no one knocked on that City Hall door and the DNS was created without considering its impact on cities. And when it escaped from the lab, the technology spread like a virus and changed the world for better and for worse.

  Remarkably, the DNS opportunity is again at hand. ICANN will deliver on its key mission in 2010 and we'll soon see cities sporting new TLDs such as .nyc, .berlin, and .paris.
Let me note that this was not written with the intent of criticizing these Internet pioneers, merely to highlight an area where, with omnipotent 20/20 hindsight, one might observe Net imperfections needing attention.

Roland, with all due respect, I've never heard ICANN dealing with any of the issues I've proposed for the IGF Workshop. Yes, they have encouraged the development of "Perfect Sunrise" guidelines that warrant consideration, and they uncovered that there's a Paris in France as well as Texas. And to its credit, ICANN has agreed that cities should have access to TLDs. But city-TLD governance, best practices, and a primer for city-TLDs - it's just not in their scope. ICANN's concern is commerce not cities. City-TLDs are (IMHO) perfect for an IGF workshop.

Tom Lowenhaupt