[governance] Clinton Admits: "Free" Trade is Harmful to 3rd

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Apr 7 10:58:44 EDT 2010

On 6 Apr 2010, at 09:18, McTim wrote:

> I know many on this list have had some unpleasant experiences with
> ICANN/ISOC, etc and have lost some faith along the way, but that
> doesn't mean they are not CS, at least, not according to the LSE, et.
> al.

i think we have to be careful in these designations.

- The internet community wants to define itself as a separate leg of the multistakeholder process, so to call them CS might thwart their own interests in being something other then that.

-  While the I* are non profitare non profit organization , it is their membership and focus that really determines whether they are CS or not.  e.g. the ICC is a non profit, but since it entire focus is commerce, we don't group them with CS.

- ICANN still declares itself as a private sector led - and by private sector the mean business.  other then that they try to wear the mantle of multistakeholder giving both CS and Governments a seat at the table (more then most organization other then the IGF ).  so i would have a hard time considering them CS.

- ISOC is more of a people's organization though it does have some large private sector donors.  And except for the fact that they have been vocal in demanding that the Internet Technical Community be a stakeholder in its own right, I might have been able to consider them CS.  I would probably put the RIRs in this same categories.

so while some of the I* is CSish, I do not think we can consider them CS.

of course the individuals who work for them can, in their own capacity be CS, as long as those are the interests they personally align themselves with.  and then yes, they should be open about where their support comes from.

a.

ps.
On 6 Apr 2010, at 05:52, Milton L Mueller wrote:

>  If you disagree with them about anything, theny won't even consider funding your research on an IG topic.

so this is why i get so little funding?

disclosure: currently only funded by the university in LuleƄ based on a grant from the EC - but hoping for more real soon now.  does the fact that I will take funding from anyone i don't despise who is wiling to fund me to do what i want to do make me less CSish?

     governance at lists.cpsr.org