[governance] privatising ccTLDs

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Wed Apr 7 07:11:35 EDT 2010

Hi McTim, I can start by saying: cheap and quick way to get a gTLD... :)
There is a business group which convinces a community (or their
government, as I think Colombians have not had the opportunity to
properly and widely debate this) that their national identity on the
Internet is no longer relevant and let you take over and convert their
ccTLD into a commodity for the international domain market.

In the case of Colombia, it is quite strange. It is a country with 44
million people, relatively high HDI and the third largest South American
economy -- hard to see how this is going to generate any significant
amount of money to benefit Colombia -- this is far from being Tuvalu. On
the other hand, given the size of the economy and Internet penetration
in the country, it is hard to see how a non-profit self-sustainable
operation to keep their ccTLD in the national commons would not succeed.

But this is my view and I am not a Colombian (just a Latin American),
so... But it makes me sad to know that xyz.co no longer points to a
Colombian Internet space.

frt rgds

--c.a.

--