[governance] Clinton Admits: "Free" Trade is Harmful to 3rd

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Tue Apr 6 13:18:56 EDT 2010

Parminder wrote:
> McTim
>
> You seriously believe ICANN is a civil society organisation!?
>
> Apart from the many other absurdities implied, you mentioned in your
> email to Milton that allocation of domain name, IP addresses etc is  a
> 'natural monopoly' function. Dont you see that civil society is
> definitionally a social sub-system denoting pluralism,
> non-rivalrous-ness, non-monopoly etc.... How could an organisation do a
> 'natural monopoly' function and be civil society?

I think this is too static an understanding of the provision of
monopolies. There are examples of monopoly functions which were provided
by civil society organizations. One of them is the TÜV, the German
equivalent of what the English call MOT. The TÜV has been responsible
for all sorts of safety regulations for more than 100 years, including
mandatory vehicle inspection. The latter function is now privatized and
subject to competition. Still, the TÜV has clearly civil society roots.

jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org