[governance] Clinton Admits: "Free" Trade is Harmful to 3rd

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 03:43:40 EDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
>>BTW, methinks that you might want to (in the interest of full
>>disclosure) let us know if you are still under contract with the ITU
>>in re: IP address distribution issues.
>
> McTim
>
> I am touched by your concern for conflict of interest issues :).
>
> In fact very often I do think of the basis of legitimacy of civil society
> and I find issues of transparency, responding to critiques and other
> questions immediately and always, accountability, proof of action/
> performance vis a vis ideals upheld etc as key in this regard. 'Conflict of
> interest' issues are very important here, and very high standards of
> disclosure must be maintained. As importantly, structural situations of any
> such conflicts of interests should be avoided, and in any case openly
> discussed, and responded to.
>
> However, I do find it strange and incongruous that whenever we have tried to
> discuss on this list conflict of interest issues implicating people in
> important management positions of bodiesĀ  involved in Internet policy-making
> seeking to represent civil society, you have repeatedly taken up the defence
> such practises, and pooh poohed considerations of conflict of interest. Can
> you please explain the double standards being employed by you in this
> regard.

As I have explained many times before, I see the current IG orgs
(ICANN/IETF/ISOC/RIRs/ccTLD bodies, etc as CS orgs.  At least
according to LSE and Wikipoedia and most other definitions of CS I can
find online.

> It is important to note that the issue you point out in this case is just a
> possible one-off contract of research/ study etc (though I agree with your
> demand for full disclosure) , while the practices you have defended pertains
> to people actually occupying key permanent positions in Internet policy
> making bodies, whereby they are organisationally bond to represent the
> interests of their employing organisation.

exactly, they are bound to represent their CS orgs.  Just as you
represent yours.

--
Cheers,

McTim