[governance] Workshop proposals for Vilnius

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 08:32:14 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:
> On 24/03/2010, at 8:57 PM, Fouad Bajwa wrote:
>
>> Jeremy: Kindly propose an improved language to the workshop proposal
>> so that IGC can collaboratively develop it into a very fruitful
>> discourse.
>
> Sorry for letting this slide for a while; I've been away.  Anyway, there is very little I would change in Fouad's workshop proposal, but here are the two workshop proposals that are currently on the table for discussion, the second one now fleshed out a bit.  Please provide any comments on these so that we can submit them both for the MAG's consideration by the 15th.
>
> WORKSHOP 1
> ==========
>
> Title: Revolutionary Internet Governance Ideas that can help change the Developing World

These seem to be about Internet ideas, not IG ideas. This one should
be scrapped IMO.

> Objective:
> A workshop that provides stakeholders the opportunity to share positive ideas for stimulating socio-economic change in the developing world utilizing the Internet. This will be a venue for both developed and developing world participants. An example may be the ideas presented by Tim Berners-Lee at TED for Opening Data to the world that helped in providing concrete relief information on the ground during the Haiti earthquake crisis. Another idea may be Google's mapping of the Sudan crisis.
>
> With the participation of all stakeholders, including youth, the workshop will record the many positive ideas that evolve from this venue, measure the changes that they have enabled over time, and at the next IGF meeting identify which ideas had the greatest impact over the past 12 months since presented.
>
> Format:
> A round table open to all participants of the workshop. The format will be 5 minutes given to each of the participants to share an existing or revolutionary idea. The Internet governance dimensions of each idea will also be explored.  All the ideas will be recorded and categorized under various topics for measurement of impact over the following year.
>
> Organisers:
> Internet Governance Caucus
> [ISOC?]
> [OECD?]
>
> Contact: Fouad Bajwa, Jeremy Malcolm
>

> WORKSHOP 2
> ==========
> Title: Successes and failures of Internet governance, 1995 - 2010, and looking forward to WSIS 2015

While this one is about IG, it looks like a dog's breakfast to me.

Can we focus on the real, current and pressing IG issues we see
everyday instead of some la-di-da "what if" nonsense??

Seriously, what IG decisions were made in 2005?  The IGF can't really
be desvribed as an IG decision, can it?  If you want this thing to be
meaningful and relevant, which many seem to want, then you have to
make it meaningful and relevant.

--
Cheers,

McTim