[governance] Clinton Admits: "Free" Trade is Harmful to 3rd World

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Apr 5 04:48:42 EDT 2010

In message <179770.88840.qm at web33005.mail.mud.yahoo.com>, at 00:41:23 on
Mon, 5 Apr 2010, Imran Ahmed Shah <ias_pk at yahoo.com> writes
>1.      Do you know how much food, grains, wheat and rice are
>through away just to maintain the Consumer Prices,

This probably refers to (eg) various EU <foodstuff> mountains, which are
a serious intergovernmental issue.

>instead of helping poor people of the world, “What a waste: Britain
>throws away £10bn of food every year url ref.
>http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/what-a-waste
>-britain-throws-away-16310bn-of-food-every-year-822809.html”.

But this is something entirely different. It refers to un-used food
which is thrown into the garbage bin by individual UK households, at the
rate of about £1 a day per household.

It's mainly (only 15% was still "in-date") perishable food which is no
longer fit for consumption - and bad planning in the household has meant
it wasn't used before growing a coating of mold, or being inadvertently
kept on the shelf until after the published expiry date.

90% of the food they buy doesn't suffer this fate, and perhaps a better
way to leave more food for the rest of the world is to cut overall
consumption by 10%, especially those items air-freighted with vast
carbon footprints from the four corners of the globe.

So here's a practical question: Looking in my own refrigerator just now,
I have noticed most of a pack of chillies (cost £0.50) from Morocco,
expiry date 22Mar and they have indeed grown some interesting looking
mold. But I can't eat chillies quickly enough. So what should I do - not
buy them again (smaller packets not available in that shop), and who
should public policy seek to protect - Moroccan farmers, or Moroccan
consumers - in the event that the UK market for chillies reduces, taking
with it the wholesale price.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org