[governance] so do i owe bill drake a pizza or not?

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Sep 30 15:08:27 EDT 2009

i think between the lines, GAC's role has (will) become rather
decisive... GAC chair has a big role in setting up supervisory, yet
called review, bodies. I feel that in practice, at least by and by,
these supervisory structures will begin to exercise more power.... I
have still to read the original docs well..... But this looks like as a
good a move towards internationalization that looked feasible under
present conditions, at least as a first step...

We have structures of review/supervision, but no clear principles for it
(for ex, what constitutes  public interest, which  is stressed a lot).
So space  and opportunity remains  for  'evolving  globally applicable
public policy principles'  by the 'enhanced cooperaiton' process which
then frames the working of these review/ supervisory structures ....
this can, and I think, should be the direction forward....

i have not read earlier ICANN papers, but I am not sure if they spoke so
much of the multistakeholder term, I am not sure but suspect that they
mostly stuck to 'private'... Is there more of the mutlistakeholder term
in the present doc....

parminder