[governance] IGC membership

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Tue Sep 29 07:51:23 EDT 2009

Hi,

On 29 Sep 2009, at 04:13, Parminder wrote:

> The membership issue of this group certainly needs to be sorted out.

>  It doesnt matter if there are only 30-40 such members. They need to
> feel a collective (sorry for using that word, Milton :) )

inner motivations for feeling responsible for the list a re probably
irrelevant.  one could be interested from the combined selfish
interests of the individual.  i am fine with collectives in principle.

> responsibility for the caucus. At present it is too much of 'some
> one else will do it' and coordinators are left with an impossible job.

not to be be argumentative, but isn't that what this note does?

> I appeal to coordinators to take this issue up.

Umm, why should the coordinators take it up.  Not that they can't, but
why should they.

As I am sure you know, this would take a change to the charter.

We now know that this can be done.

One way allowed under the current charter is:

A few people can self form to create a proposed set of amendments.
The can recruit others (need 10 i think)  to sign on with them to
propose it to the IGC.
and the coordinators can organize a discussion period and vote.
(though this time I suggest the vote be schedule in advance for 4 weeks)

There are other ways of course.

But if you really think this aspect needs to be changed (I am not yet
convinced) then you can organize and do it.

I do not believe however, that a separate members list is currently
acceptable within the current charter.  Nor do I beleive it would make
much of a difference.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org