[governance] Legal Analysis re: Results of charter amendment vote

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 14:52:05 EDT 2009

At the present moment, I see some issues and I see why there are
different views expressed on this list.  My post speaks for itself in
suggesting that I think invalidity of the election has the upper hand
because of purpose of the 2/3 requirement (a charter provision) to
force a simultaneous focus by a supermajority before allowing charter
amendment is undermined and/or defeated by extending the time to vote,
because any charter amendment could pass given an extension of a day,
a week, or more...    That being said, I don't presently have the fire
in the belly, as they say.

Looking at it another way, if my analysis doesn't persuade in the post
(presuming it's read reasonably carefully), then an adversarial appeal
to the same body is unlikely succeed.  Thus, my email post is my
appeal, such as it is.  Whether or not these reasons succeed this
time, hopefully the elections in the future will all be planned and
operated such that an extension like this doesn't happen again.  While
folks are acting out of a sense of justice in a certain sense by
supporting what seems like an expedient, turnout-increasing action
done apparently in the spirit of participation, the more weighty point
is that election rules are "games," albeit rather serious games with
real consequences, whose rules can't be changed in mid-stream or after
the fact.

BEFOREHAND, we should all support rules that maximize participation,
information, and so forth.  That's not the issue before us here.

As in our case, once an election is set, it's quite different:  The
rules especially aren't supposed to be changed for any reasons that
fall under the classes of expedience, convenience, or accommodation of
some late arrivers (I being among that class it appears, but not
voting), because that means that certain late arrivers are being
treated unequally compared to others, and in this specific case that
the purpose of 2/3 rules is defeated: to force an engaged electorate
to exist in a given time on pain of not passing the amendment.

People running elections can and should pride themselves in running
fair elections.  The trick is whether or not this pride translates
into denial if a mistake happens, or even if a valid action is
perceived reasonably by others as invalid, thus undermining the
appearance of fairness of the election (which is also fatal to the
acceptance of the election's result).  As with judges, they are
disqualified from deciding cases even if innocent, if a reasonable
person could conclude that there's an appearance of a conflict of
interest, or bias, or other factor that would impede the fairness and
impartiality of the process.  It seems to me that at the very least
the appearance standard is met, based on several people taking issue
with the decision.

Elections are supposed to be squeaky clean even in appearance such
that they are the unimpeachable voice of the voters.  To achieve that
voice and have it be authoritative in any given election, we have to
come together as a community under particular rules of
time/place/duration etc.

At minimum, for future elections, a rule or rules should be
promulgated (preferably as a charter amendment to the 2/3 rule)
governing extensions of time under circumstances where quorum could be
questioned, but of course that would not resolve the issues of
appearance as to this election.  Particularly since this is a group
dedicated to the purpose of good governance, good procedures
rigorously followed would be a good thing to strive for and stick to
in all cases.

Personally, I think that if the election were redone and if as is
likely the measure passes easily in all respects that would be a
victory for best practices and not a waste in any good governance
sense of that word.  Instead, it bespeaks a high respect for
procedural integrity, even if it means the effort of a new election.

Paul Lehto, Juris Doctor

--
Paul R Lehto, J.D.
P.O. Box #1