Competition ? Re: [governance] is icann ...

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 01:28:27 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 2:01 AM, Dr. Francis MUGUET <muguet at mdpi.net> wrote:
> Dear John
>
> first someone has to figure out if new DNS classes are practical or
> even fully technically possible as the protocols currently stand.
>

> The DNS class feature has been unused since the demise of the Chaosnet
> protocols in the 1980s.

not UNUSED, but only used at the moment for one specific purpose AFAIK:

; <<>> DiG 9.3.2 <<>> @demon.mtn.co.ug version.bind chaos txt
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;version.bind.                  CH      TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
version.bind.           0       CH      TXT     "9.3.3rc2"

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
version.bind.           0       CH      NS      version.bind.

;; Query time: 937 msec
;; SERVER: 212.88.97.20#53(212.88.97.20)
;; WHEN: Tue Sep 22 07:59:25 2009
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 65

 The DNS standards still reserve bits for the
> class number, but attempts to use any class other than IN won't work
> because nobody's software has used other classes for over 20 years.

except BIND, and maybe some folks at MIT still use HESIOD class.  They
were the only ones to ever use it AFAIK.

> This, I am fully aware of this from the very onset..!!!!.
> I am saying this in all my presentations.
> Only the dig tool currently implements a query wiht the class field to a
> limited
> extent that works on current DNS servers.
>
> My point is reactivating this "forgotten parameter"  could be done,
> with little conceptual difficulties and a sofware programming effort
> that is very small in comparison to the  huge  benefits in all terms :
> economics, governance, scientific,
> it opens a new dimension.

it opens a can of worms in terms of DNS load.  Avri is correct, it
needs much research and IETF work.  Yesterdays report RSSAC tells us
that we must go slow on adding to the root complexity and size, as
implementing v6, DNSSEC, iDNs and new TLDs have a multiplicative
effect on the rootzone and DNS traffic.

the IETF builds the protocols and the IANA assigns the protocols,
including DNS classes. http://www.iana.org/assignments/dns-parameters,
so I'm not getting where you think the "outside of ICANN" competition
comes in to play.

In any case, why are you going to the ITU for funding/audience?  If
you want to change a DNS standard, the IETF is the place to work.
There is a DNSextensions WG.

It seems that some want to keep alive the ITU vs. ICANN struggle that
Meryem asked about the other day.

--
Cheers,

McTim