Competition ? Re: [governance] is icann ...

Dr. Francis MUGUET muguet at mdpi.net
Mon Sep 21 18:50:14 EDT 2009

Dear Karl
> On
> There are uncharted traps in the DNS world that will be exposed as we
> start to stretch DNS into parts that are legal but have not been
> exercised, parts such as using DNS classes other than IN.
May be, however an example like yours  that breaks the current DNS
system is irrelevant
to the issue, it would break likely for other /classes/,
frankly turning a fixed string into a variable, that is replicating
exactly the features
of the IN class, should not improve or worsen the situation by much.

What, and this I am ready to agree with you, might get into unchartered
territories is
to use UTF8, in particular whenever cannonalization is concerned.
Yet relying on tables instead of bit masking should not be a grand
undertaking.

In fact, my proposal is rather dumb as far as programing is concerned,
and because it is dumb, it might work.

> What I am suggesting is that rather than trying to patch DNS and
> dealing with the mass of the installed base we should concentrate on
> better technolgies that perhaps map to an underlying DNS base, perhaps
> not, but that are themselves more attuned to the developing needs of
> the net.
So what is your proposal ?
My proposal is a realistic approach taking into account the existing DNS
system as a constraint,
it is not a clean slate approach, it is as much as KISS as possible.

> Of course, these new technologies might need new bodies of governance.
> They would likely be new bodies, not ICANN, thus giving us a chance to
> do governance things well from the outset rather than do a retrofit.
Fully agreed.

Francis

>         --karl--
>
> .

Francis F. MUGUET Ph.D

MDPI Foundation Open Access Journals
http://www.mdpi.org   http://www.mdpi.net
muguet at mdpi.org       muguet at mdpi.net

KNIS http://knis.org
Academic Collaboration / University of Geneva
http://syinf.unige.ch/recherche/cooperation

Mobile France       +33 6 71 91 42 10
       Switzerland  +41 78 927 06 97
       Cameroun    +237 96 55 69 62 ( mostly in July )

World Summit On the Information Society (WSIS)
Civil Society Working Groups
Scientific Information :  http://www.wsis-si.org  chair
Patents & Copyrights   :  http://www.wsis-pct.org co-chair
Financing Mechanismns  :  http://www.wsis-finance.org web