Competition ? Re: [governance] is icann ...

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 21 15:16:20 EDT 2009

Avri and all,

-----Original Message-----

Exactly right IMO.

>two things that immediately come to mind are a well formed definition
>of these Classes and a well formed URI scheme for naming your new
>services/objects so that apps, apps that would need to be modified,
>can use the new namespace.
>
>and things in the RFC that have not yet been implemented and tried may
>or may not work.

Many don't initially and as such require and are updated accordingly.

>and how many DNS implementations would need to be updated?
>
>as for http://www.icann.org/en/meetings/stockholm/unique-root-draft.htm
>
>The problem here is that was just an assumption, but when people
>started looking at doing it, they started to find all the reasons why
>it would be very difficult.

Wrong.  It's not difficult at all.  What is difficult is cooperation
of the legacy root structure to other and newer existing and future
root structures.

>my prediction is still that even if you can get the resources and
>talent to do all the necessary research work and if it is indeed
>doable, which won't be known until some ways down the road, I still
>predict a decade is the shortest time before deployment - and possibly
>2 decades before it might see wide spread use - if it proves to be
>feasible at all. I admit this is slightly better then the infinite
>time prediction I gave you on first hearing the proposal (the last
>thing I predicted infinite time on was IPv6 and yeah, maybe i was
>wrong on that.  maybe.)  as i said, i love seeing people find clever
>uses for unused protocol features, but one must be realistic about the
>effort involved in making it work and deployment.  i think there is
>some cleverness in the proposal but the road to deployment is really
>really difficult and very very long.

It's only as difficult if Guilds like ICANN desire to make same difficult.

>a.

Regards,

Jeffrey A. Williams
Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 294k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
Information Network Eng.  INEG. INC.