Competition ? Re: [governance] is icann an institution?

Dr. Francis MUGUET muguet at mdpi.net
Mon Sep 21 10:27:54 EDT 2009

Dear Milton and all

> And again, back to Bertrand, ok, if you and Parminder don't think we
> should work through ICANN give us viable strategies and scenarios for
> getting _/liberal/_ and democratic freedoms in to global governance of
> the Internet some other way. I'm all ears.
>
> --MM

Since you ears are opened :
There are some other ways indeed,  simply put ICANN in the place it
belongs :
a namespace service providers among other ones...
ie opening the competition to DNS services.

I Can  ( monopoly )  -->  We can ( competition )

For sure, as the phone business,
  ICANN,  the "historic" namespace  service provider would remain for years
 the  main player, but the clock in cybertime is running fast.

What I am all ears is about concrete proposals of multistakeholders
governance within
the new DNS/ classes/,  learning from the flaws of ICANN.
The governance models could be diverse and adapted to each/ class/.

Bla bla should be avoided as well as declarations of noble principles
everybody agrees upon, but that takes all the bandwidth required
for an effective discussion.

What is needed  are effecient mechanisms with a sound legal basis,
not with a mixed brew of corporate and governement "memos"
and "agreements".
I did propose sometimes ago the UNMSP scheme.
http://unmsp.org

Best

Francis

Francis F. MUGUET Ph.D

MDPI Foundation Open Access Journals
http://www.mdpi.org http://www.mdpi.net
muguet at mdpi.org muguet at mdpi.net

KNIS http://knis.org
Academic Collaboration / University of Geneva
http://syinf.unige.ch/recherche/cooperation

Mobile France +33 6 71 91 42 10
Switzerland +41 78 927 06 97
Cameroun +237 96 55 69 62 ( mostly in July )

World Summit On the Information Society (WSIS)
Civil Society Working Groups
Scientific Information : http://www.wsis-si.org chair
Patents & Copyrights : http://www.wsis-pct.org co-chair
Financing Mechanismns : http://www.wsis-finance.org web