[governance] Re: EuroDIG Reporting 1: Council of Europe wants

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 07:15:35 EDT 2009

Listening online I also heard Alun Michael (I think) speak about the
speed of change on the Internet and therefore the need for minimum
legislation (which takes time) with maximum response and the need to
design protections into the system as it evolves, something I also
heard several times at the preparatory meeting in Rio last month.
Deirdre

2009/9/14 Fouad Bajwa <fouadbajwa at gmail.com>:
>  IGC CS Reporting from the EuroDIG http://www.eurodig.org in Geneva at
> the European Broadcasting Union 2:
>
> Mrs. Redding emphasizes on Network Neutrality to be brought into more
> discussion and in particularly with regards to governance. We are
> confronted by the questions for NN and we would like to bring it into
> focus of all our discussions on IG. Alun Michael says that the rest of
> the parliamentarians have commented that we have to take Internet
> Governance as seriously as Civil Society. Serbian member believes that
> it will be a slow process like any other international institutional
> and policy change process but it will happen.
>
> COE says that the internet will not work without improving broadband
> access and in particular Citizen access otherwise it no government
> will be able to work. Alun says that similar issues were discussed in
> the African IGF.
>
> Mrs. Redding says:
> 1. IGF is a very important experience and process. There is something
> true that it is a process. Internet leads the rules of the world,
> democracy, new regulations of the world and I hope that the next two
> IGFs can show that there is an issue and positive IGF towards these
> issues.
>
> 2. We need to change international institutions, increase and enforce
> participation of the people in the international institutions.
>
> - These issues will also be discussed in the next two days and
> workshops to be underway after lunch and tomorrow.
>

> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Fouad Bajwa <fouadbajwa at gmail.com> wrote:
>> IGC CS Reporting from the EuroDIG http://www.eurodig.org in Geneva at
>> the European Broadcasting Union:
>>
>> During the early afternoon session on the first day currently in
>> progress titled "Roundtable of European parliamentary perspectives
>> regarding Internet governance" the Council of Europe has emphasized
>> that its first and foremost objective with regards to Internet
>> Governance in Europe is focusing and strengthening the Human Rights
>> with regards to the Internet.
>>
>> EU Parliament Member Mrs. Redding has commented that the role of COE
>> is very important for the European Union but we should remember that
>> we need faster decision making with regards to IG and we cannot turn
>> into an organization as large as the UN.
>>

>> More underway..............please follow the discussion live at:
>>
>> http://www.eurodig.org
>>
>> --
>> Regards.
>> --------------------------
>> Fouad Bajwa
>> @skBajwa
>> Answering all your technology questions
>> http://www.askbajwa.com
>> http://twitter.com/fouadbajwa
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATVDW1tDZzA
>>

> --
> Regards.
> Fouad Bajwa
> @skBajwa
> [...]

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir
William Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979
     governance at lists.cpsr.org