[governance] Statement by IGC supporting rights and principles

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at orange.fr
Sun Sep 13 09:22:28 EDT 2009

Dear Meryem and all

I agree with the text completed by Meryem and support the statement in these terms.
Thanks Meryem and all the best

Jean-Louis Fullsack

> Message du 03/09/09 12:09
> De : "Meryem Marzouki"
> A : governance at lists.cpsr.org, "Lisa Horner"
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: [governance] Statement by IGC supporting rights and principles
>
> Dear Lisa and all,

Thanks for this statement which, I understand, is intended for oral presentation at next IGF preparatory meeting and complement the written statement already submitted. I'm sorry that I couldn't express in time my support to the latter.

Below are some suggested amendments. While I agree that explicit HR violations and commitments shouldn't be included in such a statement at this step, I feel however needed to recall the legally binding character of HR standards (as translated into protocols and other binding conventions). Furthermore, I tried to get rid of this 'balance' wordings: HR standards _already_ reflect such a balance, so the point is to comply with these standards. The same applies to the 'rights and responsibilities' doxa: HR standards have precisely been defined -- and agreed -- so that they define these respective rights and responsibilities. Let's not fall into a trap which would only lead us to accept dilution, if not restrictions, of HR standards.

My suggestions are highlighted in the draft statement below, hope this is readable -- and agreeable to IGC members.

Best,
Meryem

--
Meryem Marzouki - http://www.iris.sgdg.org
IRIS - Imaginons un réseau Internet solidaire

Le 2 sept. 09 à 18:53, Lisa Horner a écrit :

DRAFT STATEMENT

The following statement is submitted on behalf of the Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus [Comment: if agreed, we could make it a joint statement by IGC and some dynamic coalitions].

The Caucus [and undersigned DCs] request[s] that the human rights are given adequate attention in the programme for IGF-4 in Egypt gives the required attention to human rights. The WSIS Declaration and Tunis Agenda reaffirmed the importance centrality of human rights in the information society, but human rights and associated principles have received very little attention at the IGF so far. This is problematic as:
• Fundamental human rights including such as the rights to freedom of expression, and privacy, and education are threatened by current internet governance processes and practice.
• The internet presents new opportunities for upholding and advancing human rights, for example through enhancing access to knowledge and resources. It is vital that we build on and enhance these opportunities.
• TIn addition to its legally binding implications, the human rights framework is an internationally accepted agreed set of standards that has practical as well as ethical value. It contains guidelines on how to balances different rights against each other to preserve individual and public interest. This makes it the required scheme as well as a useful tool for addressing internet governance issues, such as how to deal with security concerns on the internet in compliance with the rights to freedom of expression and privacy balance freedom of expression with concerns for security on the internet. TBesides stating obligations on States and governments, the framework also allows to derive considers both rights and responsibilities of other different stakeholders.

The Internet Governance Caucus [and undersigned DCs] call[s] for human rights standards issues to be included in addressed during the planning and implementation of all IGF sessions, so that they are given the attention they deserve as cross-cutting issues. This should include explicit consideration of how global, regional and national policies affect fundamental rights, and the development of positive policy principles to build an open and accessible internet for all. The Caucus [and undersigned DCs] would like to offer assistance to the organisers of the main plenary sessions to do this, and would like to support all stakeholders through providing access to relevant guidelines and experts.