[governance] Past Wrongs - Redress - respectful human interface

Eric Dierker cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 8 12:37:03 EDT 2009

Woman's day. Childrens day.

Black man in the West. Caste system in the East. Native American Indian,(No.pole to So. pole). Laborer.

I am a priviledged White Male American. I am a respectful yet not too old 51 years. My skin and high cheek bones make me quite acceptable in most surroundings.
Yet as a child I was often derided because I was illigitimate, white in a non-white environment and worst of all I was very smart and loved to learn & read.

As we move forward in Internet Governance it is my hope that we eschew reverse discrimination to make things better and to not go backwards.  But we instead pay special attention to these special days in honor of those who suffered for us. And that we do this in order that the past is not forgotten and that the lessons of hatred and bias are not ignored. Let us not be ColorBlind but instead ColorGlorious. Never negative and retaliatory but always positive and a raising up not tearing down.

My five 20 something children already are forgetting and it is my duty to remind and teach them. Not just to remember and not repeat but to blast into the future with firm conviction and complete abandon and a total willingness not to sit idle. If we cloister and form groups like IGFs and NCUCs let us always strive for acceptance and equality.
With the birth of my youngest next year I will never miss the chance to explain the beauty of diversity and I hope we here can promote that concept in Internet Governance. My country and the UN do it by have special "Days" as above.