[governance] Statement by IGC supporting rights and principles

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Tue Sep 8 05:38:22 EDT 2009

Hi Meryem,

On Sep 8, 2009, at 11:15 AM, Meryem Marzouki wrote:

> Hi,

>>> It's overly broad.  It paints ALL IG processes as threatening,
>>> when in
>>> fact, most of them are absolutely not.
>>>
>>> It's a bit strident as well, politically not wise, these governments
>>> are going to dismiss this out of hand.   If we are concerned about
>>> censorship and filtering, then we should state that specifically.
>>>
>>> AFAIAC, this para needs to go, or be rewritten.
>>
>> How about this?
>>
>> Fundamental human right such as the rights to freedom of expression,
>> privacy and education are threatened by the policies and practices
>> many governments
>> are pursuing at the national level.
>>
>> This is the focus of Ginger's examples, not global Internet
>> governance.   Of course, one could make the case that some
>> instances of the latter also restrict internationally recognized
>> rights, e.g. WHOIS, but that'd require some nuance and specificity
>> that it might be difficult to get quick agreement on.
>
> I don't think we should restrict to "policies and practices many
> governments are pursuing at the national level". Private companies
> also show such policies and practices, and implement them. Same case
> with IGOs, through international agreements and "technical"
> projects. Same for "multistakeholder organizations".
> Such a short statement, which purpose is to put the HR issue on the
> table at IGF -- and nothing more -- should remain general enough.
> If there is real and shared insistance that the sentence be watered
> down, then we could says "... threatened by SOME current IG
> processes and practice". Although this seems obvious..
> Finally, a statement should be read in its globality. The final
> paragraph mentions "global, regional and national policiies",
> showing that the statement makes a difference between these policies
> at different levels.

My suggestion pertained to the examples Ginger gave, which were of
national level government censorship.  If you'd like to suggest more
encompassing yet differentiated language and try to get consensus on
it feel free, but as McTim notes, "are threatened by current internet
governance processes and practice" seems too sweepingly totalizing.

Cheers,

     governance at lists.cpsr.org