[governance] Re: Respectful Interface & the Halal Search Engine Question

Eric Dierker cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 6 22:33:31 EDT 2009

Sometimes if we look into one system - complex or "simple", we can find metaphors and guidance for our seemingly incomparable system.  Here I used the interface of children in a schoolhouse from differing homes and backgrounds to show the necessary harshness of discipline to maintain order. In order to interface well we must compromise our own values. This sounds so pedestrian and amoral. But in fact sometimes the greater good is the community, so molding and shaping our own desires so that we can "work" together is the greater good. (we all wish good luck to this list in this quest)

Milton* makes a beautiful case for Google being appropriate because it is successful. This is common "Karl Marx, opiate of the people" logic. And in fact it is true. Googles' goal is to appeal to the masses. Ease of use. Largest customer base. Larger and fastest anything.
I use Google because through the last decade we have grown up together. We know the same fishing holes and have both studied the word structure and subset mentality that works so well.** I know the sponsors of paid results, I know the bloggosphere it frequents and the News sources it relies upon. Ian is quite right but that is just an is not a value. Strange but these are the same qualities I look for in a club to join to be around like minded buddies. My Vietnamese wife gathers with her Vietnamese friends because they share so much. I gather with my googleese brethren because we usually think alike, or at least dress and talk alike.

I fully agree with Karl and Linda.  We must make our systems integrate and interface with each other in a respectful of differences way.  We must constantly adapt our interfaces between our machines and be cognizant of the fact we are altering our own X values to do so. We must somehow, much like a developing nation, learn to integrate while maintaining integrity and holding inviolate the almost human rights of our telecommunication technology interface machines. To me integrity is synonymous with security. Privacy is a social political concept that changes so rapidly in geographics as to be totally morphing and transitory..(this precept should be considered when denying cross list posting - probably a bad interface idea, but personally I avoid it, like mixing in-laws with siblings)

*I use Milton as my Socratic whipping boy because, at least on this list he sounds so pedantic and absolute it is easy to set him up as the straw-man. Of course he knows I respect him and only use this dialog method through respect and because he is unfazed and unphased. We all owe Milton a debt of gratitude for his contributions to "keeping it alive" over the past decade. Kudos and dittos to """All hail market competition! What a friend we have in....Mammon!! Genuflect to Market FUNDAMENTALISM ;-)"""M&M 9/6/09

** Google and I can speak with the same syntax and sentence structure. We both know when a conjunction is necessary and when it is superfluous. We know how to put subject nouns and adjectives together in order to communicate more better and sometimes we even repeat words for fun. We love to use headliner leaders to change words from one science to another. We respect each other. I hope my life is spent searching and so is his.