[governance] Statement by IGC supporting rights and principles

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Thu Sep 3 10:19:41 EDT 2009

Hi again Fouad,

I think we don't have any disagreement here. I understand and share
your concern about the vagueness of "internet rights", thus my
reluctance to use this wording, and my insistance on sticking to the
fundamentals. Basically, we want to bring on the table the human
rights issue, as a cross-cutting issue, and we want to see it taken
into account in the overall IGF program, so as to be able to discuss
this issue in the internet context. This was the objective of the
written IGC statement prepared by Anja and submitted to the IGF
secretariat, and remains the objective of this oral statement
prepared by Lisa and intended for presentation in Geneva later this
month.
Unfortunately I wont be able to go to Geneva this time, and as a
matter of fact I had to decline an invitation to participate to one
of the EuroDIG workshops. But there are many of them intending to
raise different rights issues (program at: http://www.eurodig.org/),
not to mention other specific meetings during this Geneva week, among
them the DC IRP meeting, your own workshop, etc.). These are
opportunities to deal with the substantive issue, but we want it
officially recognized and implemented at IGF too.

Best,
Meryem

     governance at lists.cpsr.org