[governance] Statement by IGC supporting rights and principles

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Thu Sep 3 06:09:09 EDT 2009

Dear Lisa and all,

Thanks for this statement which, I understand, is intended for oral
presentation at next IGF preparatory meeting and complement the
written statement already submitted. I'm sorry that I couldn't
express in time my support to the latter.

Below are some suggested amendments. While I agree that explicit HR
violations and commitments shouldn't be included in such a statement
at this step, I feel however needed to recall the legally binding
character of HR standards (as translated into protocols and other
binding conventions). Furthermore, I tried to get rid of this
'balance' wordings: HR standards _already_ reflect such a balance, so
the point is to comply with these standards. The same applies to the
'rights and responsibilities' doxa: HR standards have precisely been
defined -- and agreed -- so that they define these respective rights
and responsibilities. Let's not fall into a trap which would only
lead us to accept dilution, if not restrictions, of HR standards.

My suggestions are highlighted in the draft statement below, hope
this is readable -- and agreeable to IGC members.

Best,
Meryem

--
Meryem Marzouki - http://www.iris.sgdg.org
IRIS - Imaginons un réseau Internet solidaire