[governance] Results of charter amendment vote

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 19:32:31 EDT 2009

OK, I'd look at it initially with the idea of making elections fair
and clear, as long as you understand that I'd add a clause for a
"belts and suspenders" redundancy approach by saying that there's no
leeway or discretion within the scope of the charter provision, except
perhaps as approved by a truly independent third party of some sort.

On 9/29/09, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:

> Paul, I would like to think there is a way your offer could be taken up, and
> as I suggested earlier I do not believe the charters problems can be solved
> by dealing with one little bit at a time. There are a number of sections
> which need amending and clarification and it would be a great service to
> this group if someone would take this on. I would certainly support you if
> you were willing to head up such a working group - but for me, with only
> about a month of my term as co coordinator to run, (I am counting the days)
> I would not be prepared to take a central role of any sort. BY all means
> write to me off list if you would like to take this on and I would happily
> work with you towards getting a working group established.
>
> In the meantime - we have a month to go to the IGF meeeting, and I do hope
> that on this list we can start to put attention towards what we are doing as
> a group there and some of the issues we need to address.
>

> On 30/09/09 6:12 AM, "Paul Lehto" <lehto.paul at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd be happy to draft a charter amendment if one were desired, but
>> without the stipulation that the principles of reason and construction
>> of language apply with force, literally anything I would draft, no
>> matter how clear, would be a waste of time and utterly ineffective in
>> binding the freedom of administrators (the point of such election
>> provisions).
>>
>> Also, in this specific case, no further rules are needed in the
>> charter to resolve the question, because the 2/3 rule implies that the
>> 2/3 must exist in a normal election day time period and not over a
>> week, month, or year.
>>
>> If the above case is not sufficiently clear in its prohibition of
>> extensions for purposes or effect of meeting the 2/3 rule, then no
>> amount of drafting, no matter how precise, will be sufficient to tie
>> the hands of any person of even average intelligence who is committed
>> to getting around the words and told he's got the "leeway" to do so.
>> And I consider all here quite above average in intelligence.
>>
>> So, on another subject, I'd be happy to draft an amendment, but on
>> this one it's hopeless.
>> On 9/29/09, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 10:45 PM, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I believe this vote has been so run and believe there is no applicable
>>> law
>>>>

>>> +1
>>>
>>> If there was no appeal made within the 72 hours, the issue is moot.
>>>
>>> Paul, please write a charter amendment if you feel that voting rules need
>>> be further specified.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> McTim
>>> "A name indicates what we seek. An address indicates where it is. A route
>>> indicates how we get there."  Jon Postel

Paul R Lehto, J.D.
P.O. Box #1
Ishpeming, MI  49849
lehto.paul at gmail.com