[governance] Google power

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Thu Oct 29 17:57:03 EDT 2009

The following item and exchange show some amazing new possibilities for
navigation by matching the capabilities of various databases owned by Google
to satellite navigation capabilities.

http://radar.oreilly.com/2009/10/navigating-the-future-take-me.html#comments

Pretty cool features, but the danger here is the market power of Google. No
one else will be able to match the capabilities or provide the data for
these features. See the comments made by Tim O¹Reilly.

As Tim points out, what we are looking at here is the development of
applications that depend on coordinated data from multiple databases. This
will allow some quite amazing new features that no other player will be able
to match.

Apart from this ­ data matching raises various privacy issues. Many
countries have data matching restrictions embedded in prvacy legislation.
I¹m interested to know what people think about this and what social policy
implications might exist.

Ian Peter