[governance] AT&T: Google Manipulates Media

Yehuda Katz yehudakatz at mailinator.com
Sun Oct 25 21:44:31 EDT 2009

Thanks Jeff,
The two articles you cited follow well the chain of thought.

>Re.:
>... we can now see the power of Internet-based applications providers
>to act as gatekeepers who can threaten the “free and open” Internet.
>Google’s double-standard for “openness” – where Google does what it
>wants while other providers are subject to Commission regulations ...

Particularly,  ...

Content ID (Google’s Content ID system) hasn’t stopped rights holders
around the globe from crossing swords with Google. Part of the problem is that
music rights are extraordinarily complicated, with many different parties
owning rights to the same song based on the type of use as well as the
territory. One example: Licensing talks between the German music rights group
GEMA and YouTube broke down this spring. ...

Art.Ref.: Achtung! Criminal Investigation Against YouTube Underway in Germany
See:http://newteevee.com/2009/10/23/achtung-criminal-investigation-against-youtube-underway-in-germany/
-

Where does the ITU stand in regards to Google's VOIP Phone Services and its
net-blanket coverage upon TeleCarriers both Private (AT&T, BT, et.al.) and
Nationalized systems?

Where is the WIPO with regards to Google's You Tube infringments?

Their 'out-of-sight'&'out-of-mind' ... in other words not to be found.

That so, Groups are forming their own rules: See
New ACTA copyright treaty dodges the UN, poor countries and activists
Art.Ref.: http://www.boingboing.net/2009/04/14/new-acta-copyright-t.html

Unfortuanlty I feel that 'Network Neutrality' is going to come in variety of
Localized flavors, perhapes at best, 1 blend per every ccTDL jusridiction.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org