[governance] Cameroon and Wales collision in TLD space ?????

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 10:24:14 EDT 2009

In situations where the secret ballot can appropriately (or by
agreement) be dispensed with, it makes election security ENORMOUSLY
easier, though not "easy" per se.  Legislators often vote
electronically, but it's not secret balloting so it's more or less
instantly obvious if an error's been made.

As I've said before the secret ballot makes elections fundamentally
unaccountable at a radical level, since you can't go back to the
source of the info (the voter) and verify what's there is what was
originally put there.

The vote COUNT especially is the ONE piece of real estate a free
people must control, and must control it so completely that when they
need to remove criminal mafia types or corrupt incumbents, they are
secure in their right to do so.

With incumbents running computerized elections, one can NEVER be
secure in their ability to turn out criminal incumbents -- yet this is
the point at which the vote is needed the very most.  That's why as
great as computers are in so many ways, they simply are inappropriate,
and TOTALLY so, for important elections, except to display results and
ancillary applications.

Basic fundamental freedom is at stake in vote counts (for "real"
important elections).  From that perspective, considering the number
of people who have literally died for the freedoms existing so far
(and that remain...) it is not for us to let that slip in the name of
the convenience of computer processing.

EXCEPTIONS:

Very small numbers of voters make things easier (but no arguale need
for electronics in the main, then)

Not having a secret ballot goes a long way but the smug complacency of
a person who has "Verified" there own *personal* vote doesn't mean the
ballot box hasn't been stuffed and additional signatures added to the
list of voters having voted.  In this way, "verifying" one's ballot
isa recipe for false complacency in that it by no means translates
into a properly counted ballot nor does it mean no ballot box stuffing
has occurred, even if 100% of your fellow voters "verify" their own
ballots individually and no problems are reported (invisible voters
don't complain...)

Paul Lehto, Juris Doctor

Paul R Lehto, J.D.
P.O. Box #1