[governance] Sad news re Francis Muguet

Beccalli, Andrea a.beccalli at unesco.org
Sat Oct 17 06:47:31 EDT 2009

As I saw the terrible news this morning I could not simply believe it, I first called his mobile and then called his daughter and asked how, what happened.

I have no words to say how sincere and truth was Francis' commitment to the values of the WSIS, he was a true friend of UNESCO, always with ground breaking ideas and initiatives. His interventions were sometimes seen as provocative or unfeasible by many, but no one can say he was moved by self interest.

I met him for the first time in 2003 in Geneva at the first WSIS, since then I shared many of his initiatives and was always inspired by his ideas and his commitment, what personally impressed me was his true belief in his work and total dedication. Francis was a true believer the kind of one that is always harder to find in this world.

We will miss you Francis,

Andrea

Andrea Beccalli

Associate Expert
Information Society Division

Communication and Information Sector

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)

1, rue Miollis

75732 Paris cedex 15

Tel: +33(0)1 45 68 42 87

a.beccalli at unesco.org <mailto:a.beccalli at unesco.org>