[governance] Condolences

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Sat Oct 17 05:16:33 EDT 2009

Dear Flore

I am shocked to hear from the passing away of our good great friend Francis. I can not believe it.

I know Francis sind 2002 when we worked together within the framework of the UN World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) in Geneva. He was such an active and courageous thinker, always on the side of the "small people", fighting for individual human rights and innovative technological developments. He stimulated so many discussions with his sometimes unusal interventions and perspectives. But he was a friend whom you could trusted, both in the WSIS process and, after 2006, in the process of the UN sponsored Internet Governance Forum (IGF).

In the IGF, he was the founding father of a new "IGF Dynamic Coalition on the Internet of Things" which we established together in Hyderabad/India in December 2008. Just recently we worked together in the preparation of an EU expert workshop on the Internet of Things in Leipzig/Germany, in June 2009. He made very constructive, energetic and valuable contributions in this workshop. His paper was probably one of his last international presentations.http://www.guarder.net/kleinwaechter/images/euronf/muguet.pdf

We had a lof of plans how to use all the ideas to move forward with the "IGF Dynamic Coalition on the Internet of Things" towards the forthcoming 4th IGF in Sharm el Sheikh/Egypt in November 2009. Now I have to learn that Francis will not with us in Sharm. What a sad news. I will ask in Sharm el Sheikh the participants of the IGF to give a moment of silence to Francis to remember a good friend and a great Internet Governance activist. Take my deep condolences.

Prof. Wolfgang Kleinwächter
University of Aarhus
     governance at lists.cpsr.org