[governance] ICANN/USG Affirmation of Commitments

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Fri Oct 16 15:33:55 EDT 2009

Paul, this is starting to get a little repetitive. You have made your point
and made it strongly.

For me - I live in a world which operates quite well where not everything
and every decision requires a vote. My world contains non democratic
structures like families, small and large businesses, charities, non
profits, all of which operate effectively and contribute to the community in
various ways. It also contains multiple tiers of government where every four
years or so people go out and do what the media tells them to in voting.

All of these structures have their advantages and disadvantages. I do not
have a religious attachment to any of these forms, and do not believe any to
be so vastly superior to any other as to suggest that here is only one sort
of structure that can provide effective internet governance.

But yes, a more democratic ICANN is a nice objective.  If we can get to a
discussion on exactly how the current organisation and structure  could be
improved, where and how voting might be useful, and some sort of transition
strategy, that would be a good way to get something productive from the
discussion.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org