[governance] Civil society & ICANN

Eric Dierker cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 11 12:16:08 EDT 2009

I am still quite puzzled at this term "civil" "society".  I suppose you could have an uncivilized society.  What rankles about it is an immediate notion that you are either part of it or you are uncivilized. I guess I just need to get over it.
But a good read can be found here;
http://thepublicvoice.org/2009/08/top-ten-myths-about-civil-society-participation-in-icann.html A little frustrating as it basically builds on straw issues and then congratulates itself on being smarter than the issue that probably does not exist. No citations. But it gives an insight to the combative nature of the NCUC.

So I signed up for the IRPc trying to learn more and broaden by quite limited horizons:  http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/  And was kinda bummed out to see the history/lack thereof: http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/forum/1

I come from around 1999 and have been a participant in the ICANN GA ever since. I interfaced with Roberto before he was even elected Chair of the GA.  We are having real trouble keeping the GA alive as the only remaining open forum in ICANN.  They have done everything they can to get rid of us --  except the one thing they need to do -- have an open comment period on the dissolution of the GA. http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/index.htm  and by going here you will see a topic list that we sometime debate:

I suppose to be fair we are the UNcivilized societie de ICANN

The ISOC is quite confusing:
http://www.isoc.org/isoc/general/trustees/  Clearly there was an error in conception.  "Internet Society" would be a society of Internets.  What this group is, is a society of socialites involved with the Internet. I greatly appreciate their wisdom and intellectualism.(suffice to say I will not invite them to beer-fests and street protests)

I tried to give some money over to Robin at IP justice. ( http://ipjustice.org/ )They took my card info but then said the server had an error -- I will not stop payment, I hope my small contribution can get their servers up and running.

It would be good to see more expressions and more detail of places where freedoms are denied because GOVERNANCE is nonexistent or wrong.  I hope that in place of this ongoing trend to limit participation to suitable cadres, we begin to be more inclusive, transparent and accountable.