[governance] Internet Voting, self determination

Eric Dierker cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 10 11:54:16 EDT 2009

It would be my hope that someone will take the torch and help to create more comprehensive voting and process rules for this "group". It seems that most with an open mind have learned a great deal from the latest vote here and certainly gained some understanding from Mr. Lehto's posts.

There is a very clear desire by those in power positions regarding the Internet not to allow any direct voting by users of the Internet. If you want proof that even a Roland would appreciate, here it is:;;;  (long pause - curtain lifted and___---) There is not any. Oh no! Not no proof!!  There is no voting; and that is the unadulterated, uncomplicated blatant in your face proof.
(arguments that we cannot are frivolous http://www.springerlink.com/content/ux88812274213058/)

One must surmise that the wizened gents that control things believe that they would lose control of those things if there were a vote. Or perhaps they are protecting us from ourselves, benevolent old men who just want to make sure we as people do not mess things up.  So I believe that we should really look and determine whether or not the masses are mature enough and trustworthy enough to decide what is best for them.  I am not being facetious here.  Is the public ready to have a say in governance?

My conclusion may surprise some that think I am an ideologue purist. I am. But what I am most sure of is that matters change. That growth is the antitheses of dying. And that by trying to keep things the same we really muck them up.  The world population is not ready to determine by free vote, those matters relevant to Internet governance.
The kicker is  -- They never will be.
(in the late 1700s a fellow with initials BF wrote his president GW. GW had asked how a country's revolution to democracy, away from monarchy, was going. BF responded in part: "A fool sir is still a fool, the fact that you gather them by the multitudes, only aggravates the situation")
But never the less the revolution continued and lives and resources were lost but all in all the masses came to power and grew into their role of self determination. At my son's majority there was a war raging, he was accepted to a fine University and he had itchy feet. It was not my decision that he would go to war, attend school or travel the world. Not my call. My job in directing was over. He has  since traveled the world, obtained degrees and is a strong advocate for peace, from a platform of freedom of choice.

It is not ours to judge or to decide who is ready to take control of the Internet Governance. It is ours to build and protect and to provide for those users to be in control of the destiny and choices that they want.

The systems are not perfect, the people are not ready.  But governance is not about prevention it is about guidance.  Good governance requires lack of control to an extent which thereby guarantees that control be placed where it belongs.  If the goal of those here is to direct and control Internet activity they are frauds. If their goal is to cede power to the people they are not perfect but good.