[governance] ICANN/USG Affirmation of Commitments

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 14:42:53 EDT 2009

This is becoming tedious, but I'll make one last attempt to explain it to you:

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Paul Lehto <lehto.paul at gmail.com> wrote:

<yada yada snipped>

> If asking the persons whose rights and lives you wish to modify on the
> internet is TOO MUCH TROUBLE

gov'ts modify the rights and lives of Internet users, ICANN has a very
narrow the very narrow role of administering technical resources via
its IANA function.

 for practical reasons, what right does
> anyone have to go around squashing human beings like bugs

now that's just silly.

<more snippage>

> A legislature charged with doing the job of making laws, for example,
> can't just assign that lawmaking task to a private body and refuse to
> oversee it or to provide standards and further disclaim its
> responsibilities as charged by law or the constitution.   Yet that is
> perilously close to, and appears to be exactly what, the DOC
> accomplished an the Affirmations agreement.

Perhaps you don't understand the history behind this move.  During the
Clinton Administration, the USG basically said "who wants this job,
it's not really appropriate for us to do anymore".  To make a long
(but interesting) story short, ICANN was created and took the "job".
The goal all along was for it to be an independent body.  You are a
dozen years too late to complain about it now, that ship has long
since sailed.

--
Cheers,

McTim