[governance] ICANN/USG Affirmation of Commitments

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 11:57:35 EDT 2009

Hey McTim, I don't mind you "attacking" my argument for democracy by
urging direct democracy as opposed to representative democracy,
because that's not an attack at all, from my perspective (I hadn't
specified which form of democracy or republic, I only insist that the
people, as the only legitimate source of power, retain or get -- if
they don't presently have it -- control over ICANN).

Moreover, a careful reading of my posts, which admittedly perhaps not
everybody has time for even though democracy deserves the time whether
or not I'm an adequate defender of it, will show that I admit that
having a global internet controlled only by the US public via the US
government leaves something major to be desired.

That being said, the problem here is that no matter what the problems
are or were with US government/DOC control on behalf of the US public,
the alleged "transfer" of power to a more global constituency is a
fake and a fraud, because no public entity empowered by any global
public or even any single country's public retains any control -- not
even in theory (unless the purported transfer is invalidated in court
or unwound).

So, I'm still waiting for my basic thesis to be attacked, namely, that
democratic control (emphasis on CONTROL, not mere "input") is the only
legitimate way to vindicate the public interest.  Every other charity
or organization can claim to advocate the public interest, but even
General Motors claims that what's good for GM is good for everyone.
Though there are surely good organizations out there that i personally
strongly believe are closer to, or even nearly identical to, the
public interest, that's merely my personal opinion. The only
legitimate way to fully claim the public interest mantle is by having
a mandate via consent of the governed from the people as a whole.  And
that's precisely what ICANN "independence" defeats -- any real
legitimacy for anyone to either represent, or be obligated to pursue,
the public interest.

Paul Lehto, Juris Doctor

Paul R Lehto, J.D.
P.O. Box #1