[governance] ICANN/USG Affirmation of Commitments

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Sun Oct 4 16:40:48 EDT 2009

Roland and all,

-----Original Message-----

Yes I've seen much of this debate in the House of commons in questons
to the PM on C-Span several times.  Seems that this is a political
football/soccor ball in the UK.  Very unfortunate.

>>and not on a multijurisdictional basis
>
>Not sure what you men by that.

>>>Very few charities are operating in the Internet space.
>>I disagree, many Charity organizations olerate on the internet.
>
>Many have a promotional website, but few are involved in the Internet
>Community. One reason for that is funders (other charities, trusts,
>legacies etc) have not yet caught up with the concept that charities
>generally operate at physical places, for the benefit of particular
>physical communities, and well known bricks-and-mortar benefits.

Funding models on the Internet by Charities are often used.  I recieve
many such requests from varried Charities nearly every day such
Africa Action for instance.  So you'll excuse me but your claim here
rings rather hallow from my experiance.

>eg "We have funds for charities running soup kitchens[#1] for the
>unemployed[#2] in the East End of London[#3]". Fail any of the three
>tests and you won't qualify for that particular funding.

These should not be pre-conditions for tax exempt status or government
funding, nor IMHO funding from private sources necessarly unless those
sources of funding are spicifically targeting where their donated funds
are to go or be used for.

>I'm currently involved in a project to try to break that particular mold
>(no, not the Nominet Foundation, but a potential recipient of funds).

Good!  Send me some will ya!  >:)  A couple thousand quid will do for now.

>>>What, not even the Review Teams? (The accountability might not be
>>>perfect, few things are, but they exist).
>>
>>Accountability means that whatever recourse has to have teeth
>>to be effective, otherwise such models to which you refer are
>>all roar and no bite.
>
>Is it not the community's responsibility to make sure they have teeth?

To a degree yes it is in part the communities responsibility.  But that
ability to exercise that responsibility is limited of course.  Government
entities and commercial entities also part of any community also bare
a implied responsibility as well, and government should at least be
aiding in facilitating thsoe entities to step up as it were.

>Or at the very least monitor this new process and document its dental
>capability in practice?

Yes here also of course.  Diligance is very important, especially
from the public at large.

>--
>Roland Perry

Regards,

Jeffrey A. Williams
Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 294k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
Information Network Eng.  INEG. INC.