[governance] ICANN/USG Affirmation of Commitments

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Sat Oct 3 15:59:55 EDT 2009

Roland and all,

  My response interspersed below...

-----Original Message-----

Yes, but does the Charity Commissioners have any real clout or force
of law of any sort?  My guess is no and not on a multijurisdictional
basis either which leaves them to be mostly a limp noodle.

>>if the charity mistakenly feels that, for example, a private internet
>>will trickle down public benefits and a public internet with rights is
>>undesirable.
>
>Very few charities are operating in the Internet space.
I disagree, many Charity organizations olerate on the internet.

>>The bottom line is the shift, of tectonic importance here, where the
>>admittedly too narrow and attenuated accountability of the Commerce
>>Department/ICANN to the US public purports to be eliminated in favor
>>of what ICANN calls "independence."  In turn, "independence" means
>>there's ZERO RECOURSE.
>
>That'll be a big disappointment to a lot of people, if true,

Well it's largely true.

>>the situation is now much worse because there's no
>>accountability to anyone anywhere
>
>What, not even the Review Teams? (The accountability might not be
>perfect, few things are, but they exist).

Accountability means that whatever recourse has to have teeth
to be effective, otherwise such models to which you refer are
all roar and no bite.

>> and no mechanism to manufacture accountability to the global
>>community. (unless this giveaway and abdication of authority is
>>challenged)
>
>So you don't think the proposed scheme delivers any of that?

I don't, no.

>R.
>
>>Paul Lehto, Juris Doctor
>>On 10/2/09, Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:
>>> In message
>>> <76f819dd0910021037o36cd6b7aj9c8d7454ca116cc2 at mail.gmail.com>, at
>>> 13:37:38 on Fri, 2 Oct 2009, Paul Lehto <lehto.paul at gmail.com> writes
>>>
>>> So you don't think any charities can possibly act in the public
>>> interest?
>>> --
>>> Roland Perry
>>>

>--
>Roland Perry

Regards,

Jeffrey A. Williams
Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 294k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
Information Network Eng.  INEG. INC.