[governance] ICANN/USG Affirmation of Commitments

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 10:58:11 EDT 2009

On 10/2/09, Thomas Lowenhaupt <toml at communisphere.com> wrote:
[snip]> As to section 11, when it states, "The agreement is intended to be
> long-standing, but may be amended at any time by mutual consent of the
> parties. Any party may terminate this Affirmation of Commitments by
> providing 120 days written notice to the other party." does this mean this
> if egregious activities are noted by the DOC, and notice provided to ICANN,
> that in 120 days we would see a transition to another oversight structure?
> If so, that sounds like a tacit veto for the DOC. And perhaps someone might
> be so brave as to speculate on a circumstance under which ICANN would
> terminate?

Termination "by mutual agreement" means that ICANN would have to agree
to end its own independence (read: freedom) and therefore mutual
agreement is worse than toothless, it means nothing happens unless
ICANN wants it to happen.  (PLUS, the DOC as well, which makes this
condition ever more impossible in an important case of conflicting
policies)

Paul Lehto, Juris Doctor

--
Paul R Lehto, J.D.