[governance] Re: IDN's Internationalized Domain Names - A New Era

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 20:16:32 EDT 2009

Very true Ian, but again, we are getting them now in the developing
world countries. This was announced by ICANN day before yesterday and
so finally they are moving ahead.

I am however very convinced and geared for the fact that this means
further issues with relevance to Internet Governance....

Btw, was just sharing the news I witnessed live :o)

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:
> Fouad wrote
>
>>> a move that is being described as the biggest change to the way the
>>> internet works since it was created 40 years ago.
>
> Very few people who have examined this subject think the Internet was
> created 40 years ago. See
> http://www.nethistory.info/History%20of%20the%20Internet/origins.html
> for an article I wrote when the same group celebrated the "35th
> anniversary".
>
> I think Stephane's comments are relevant. ICANN's tick on IDNs is welcome
> and overdue, but not ground breaking.
>
> The real credit here does not lie with ICANN, but with people like Dr. John
> Klensin, Dr. Konishi (Japan), Prof. Qian (China), Dr. Kenny Huang (Taiwan),
> and Dr. Ko (Korea), James Seng (Singapore), TanTin Wee, many others. And as
> Stephane states, the breakthrough was five years ago, not now.
>
> But spin doctors create popular history and myths propagate.
>

> On 1/11/09 12:11 AM, "Stephane Bortzmeyer" <bortzmeyer at internatif.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 08:22:33PM +0900,
>>  Fouad Bajwa <fouadbajwa at gmail.com> wrote
>>  a message of 109 lines which said:
>>
>>> The internet regulator ICANN has approved plans to allow
>>> non-Latin-script web addresses,
>>
>> Unicode characters in domain names have been technically approved in
>> 2003 (with the publication of RFC 3490) and installed first in a TLD a
>> few months later (though I do not remember which TLD was the first
>> one). ICANN, as often, is very late here. We see "non-Latin-script web
>> addresses" for many years.
>>
>>> a move that is being described as the biggest change to the way the
>>> internet works since it was created 40 years ago.
>>
>> This is simply ridiculous. More than the creation of the DNS? Or of
>> BGP? Or than the deployment of TCP/IPv4, both non-existent 40 years
>> ago?

Regards.
Fouad Bajwa
@skBajwa