Extending Rights to the Internet: (Was RE: [governance] Example

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Mon Nov 30 04:08:38 EST 2009

Just picking up on one thread here -

> This raises the challenge of how to express affordable access to the
> internet for all as a basic right. We can't avoid this. Whether you call
> it a 'new right' or a pre-condition for excercising existing rights, we
> have to work harder to address the access gap.

The historical basis we can pick up is the right to communicate - the belief
that, in the event of any media becoming ubiquitous, lack of access to it
results in (at least) the lack of a fundamental opportunity, if not a right.

The right to communicate was advanced with the UNESCO MacBride report in
1983 - a contentious document. However the concept does go back to 1974, and
is the subject of quite a lot of literature since then.

A good summary is at http://www.righttocommunicate.org/

I would dearly love to see the right to communicate revised. Forget whether
its called the Internet or something else or what it morphs to - the lack of
access to any ubiquitous media is a denial of a fundamental human right and
opportunity.

Ian Peter

     governance at lists.cpsr.org