[governance] [Fwd: [oni] IGF UN Official story] - on the blocking of the ONI poster: CLARIFICATIONS

Al Alegre alalegre at fma.ph
Mon Nov 16 09:44:53 EST 2009

To friends in the IGC and in APC who, while in IGF Egypt, have been making
official representations to, or engaging in informal private conversations
officials in the IGF leadership...

We are sending this clarificatory message because of an "official" IGF
version of the events, which has come to our attention. We are doing this
in good faith to correct errors on all sides, in the interest of the truth
and genuine accountability.

Some media reports that have since circulated about the incident have
indeed had some minor factual errors, which we have since last night been
trying to correct by writing/commenting on the online media outlets.

Here is the gist of the clarifications Ron Deibert has been trying to
make, both to correct the above, but also to reiterate the true and
indisputable acts of censorship that were justified then on the basis of
the appeasing a member state.

We hope this helps bring the focus back to the real issues, and do please
circulate this note as  you feel appropriate. Thank you

Al Alegre
Regional Coordinator, ONI Asia