[governance] What happened?

Ronald Deibert r.deibert at utoronto.ca
Mon Nov 16 09:14:20 EST 2009

This contains a number of inaccuracies that need to be corrected.  We
were told to remove the poster not because it was advertising anything
but because of the reference to China.  This was immediately following
an earlier incident in which we were told to spot handing out to
friends and colleagues invites to the book reception because of a line
in the invitation about Tibet.  Although it irritated us and seemed
outrageous we agreed not to distribute those invitations because the
launch had already started and there as no point distributing anything
more.

We booked the room for a book launch, and yes as part of the book
launch we were giving talks about the ONI as a whole, showing clips
from a documentary about the topics covered by the ONI it's research
that were undertaken by researchers part of the ONI Asia group (not a
whole film -- as was falsely reported by the ONI).

Is it not allowed to show slides and movie clips as part of a book
launch??

In no way did UN officials tell us that the reason to remove the
poster was because of commercial advertisement.  We were told
explicitly it was because of the mention of China.

I mean, let's get real.  The reason had nothing to do with advertising
and everything to do about substance.

Ron

Ronald J. Deibert
Director, The Citizen Lab