[governance] Voice of Elders

Eric Dierker cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 10 22:05:58 EST 2009

I think that within our existing fledgling Internet governance modalities we are truly missing out on the opportunity to use something that has never existed before to take advantage of a group that has never existed before.

Buddha made clear his belief that a single earnest day of travel was worth a year of formal schooling. I think he was basically referring to the notion that actual experience is far more valuable than academics, when combined with the intention to study and learn. I speak as a man with a doctorate and about 2,000 miles of hiking in the Grand Canyon alone, not to mention hundreds on 6 continents.

My point is that we are not including into our systems the allocation of "seats at the table" for the experienced, the elders.  We are not being inclusive when discussing handicapps or barriers to access. We are forsaking the great asset of experience for the expedience of the faster, brighter newer peoples. We worry about access for the deaf and blind, for remote villages, for developing nations but we leave nothing for access for fastest growing group in the world, the elders. Our speed and growth is resulting in a total lack of respectful interface with our most worthy of citizens.