[governance] UK - Government to cut off web pirates - following

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 5 14:05:49 EST 2009

Eric, Roland, David, and all,

  I also am having a bit of trouble in buying into Rolands
contention here.  Perhaps he and/or David should file an
official complaint with the EU council and the UK government
in an effort to flush out this contention more fully.  ??
My guess is that such a filing will not occur and thus the
attempt here at perhaps using public opinion to garner some
presure on the UK government.

  None the less with the ACTA consideration which I posted
yesterday being a bit foggy still due to the respective
governments seeking to keep such negotiations "Under wraps"
until they are finnished with the end product, what has leaked
out is to say the least shocking and IMO will be difficult to
adaquately enforce on a global basis as well as costly to
attempt to broadly or even narrowly.  Ergo the consumer looses
to higher prices in the mid term.  Not a good senerio.

  Conversly however, it has been clear for years now that the
IP community especially in the entertainment segment and their
respective representational organizations such as the RIAA and
MPAA in the US as well as their respective EU counterparts sought
and still seek to use the power of the Internet to sell/hawk their
product but often times do so in technically irresponsible and
potentially dangerous ways demonstrating their lack or knowledge
and leeping before looking, as it were.  Hence to great degree
the problems with perception perhaps that Roland and David are
suffering from.