[governance] Civil society in ICANN: a success

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Nov 1 08:18:17 EST 2009

Dear colleagues:

Many of you heard of the conflict noncommercial users and civil society organizations were having with ICANN over the reform of its representational structures. There is good news to report: The full ICANN Board met with representatives of the Noncommercial Users Constituency at its recent meeting in Seoul, and we came out of that meeting in basic agreement about what to do next. There are still some wrinkles to be ironed out, but we are on a convergent path.

A key factor in changing opinions was the strong membership growth the NCUC experienced over the past year and the impressive level of attendance and participation the NCUC generated at the Seoul meeting.

This blog article explains what happened at the NCUC-Board meeting in more detail. http://blog.internetgovernance.org/blog/_archives/2009/10/25/4361022.html

You can also see the proposed transition plan on the NCUC site:
http://ncdnhc.org/profiles/blogs/ncuc-ncsg-transition-plan

The basic message I want to convey is simpler:

Thanks to all those civil society organizations who commented in the ICANN GNSO reform process on our behalf, and thanks especially to the many individuals and organizations who joined NCUC during that process. We are now a much stronger and more active force in global governance of Internet name and number resources.

--MM

     governance at lists.cpsr.org