[governance] ICANN might name former DHS cybersecurity boss itspresident?

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Jun 27 03:45:22 EDT 2009

In message <159471.65531.qm at web83915.mail.sp1.yahoo.com>, at 15:40:41 on
Fri, 26 Jun 2009, Eric Dierker <cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net> writes

>So it is safe to say that in your work helping others to navigate around
>the regulations caused maze of doing business your prefer the straight
>forward technique of total compliance with the regs rather avoidance?

I don't usually help people "work around" the regs. My primary aim is
to make sure the regs which are put in place are the right ones; and
once in place that they are used as effectively as possible to hinder
the bad guys.  But I do spend quite some time telling people why certain
regulations don't apply[1] to them, were never intended to apply to
them; which isn't quite the same as avoiding the regs.

[1] Often manifested by authorities claiming powers they don't actually
have, or ignoring safeguards that should have inhibited them.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org