[governance] ICANN might name former DHS cybersecurity boss its president?

tvest at eyeconomics.com tvest at eyeconomics.com
Thu Jun 25 10:44:13 EDT 2009

For the curious, here is the full text of the article published by
National Journal:

National Journal's CongressDaily

June 19, 2009 Friday
PM Edition

ICANN Might Name Former Cybersecurity Boss

LENGTH: 166 words

Technology. Former Homeland Security Department National Cybersecurity
Center Director Rod Beckstrom could become the new president and CEO
of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, a
nonprofit group that oversees the Internet address system. Paul
Twomey, who has held the position for six years, announced his
departure in March. Since then, the group has faced scrutiny on
Capitol Hill as it prepares to end its formal relationship with the
Commerce Department in September. Lawmakers and industry stakeholders
have raised concerns about ICANN's transparency, accountability,
budget processes and stakeholder relationships. ICANN Vice President
Paul Levins would not confirm Beckstrom's selection but said a
"leading candidate" had been chosen and initial contract discussions
were under way. The individual will meet with ICANN's board at the
organization's meeting in Sydney, Australia, next week. The board
expects to approve the CEO when it convenes in a week, Levins said.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org