[governance] EC on IG

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Mon Jun 22 13:27:57 EDT 2009

Jean-Louis,

Very happy to see you back here, hope all is well.

Alas, I cannot open the document.

With the sad election behind us, do you expect any changes in the
hilarity, or more of the same?

Best,

Bill

On Jun 22, 2009, at 6:17 PM, Jean-Louis FULLSACK wrote:

> William Drake wrote :
>
> > So unless I'm missing something, the civil society kids are
> invited to
> > chat and enjoy in the back seat and leave the driving to the
> adults in
> > the front. One big happy family, all in our respective roles and
> > responsibilities...
>
> Well said, Bill
>
> But there is another interesting "vision" of to-morrow IG by the
> hilarious Mrs Redng (see attached document)
>
> Best regards
> Jean-Louis Fullsack
>

> > Message du 18/06/09 20:21
> > De : "William Drake"
> > A : "Governance List"
> > Copie à :
> > Objet : [governance] EC on IG
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > There's a Communications from the EC today that may be of interest.
> >
> > Internet governance: the next steps
> > http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/policy/internet_gov/docs/communication/comm2009_277_fin_en.pdf
> >
> > Two notable bits:
> >
> > First, the EC refers to the JPA as if it's ending and that's a done
> > deal. Whether that's due to private assurance, disregard for the
> > positions of various DC actors, strategic discourse, or whatever,
> who
> > knows. In any event, so moving on, it's time to talk about IANA:
> >
> > "The indication by the US government in 2006 that the current
> > agreement should be the last
> > such agreement with ICANN was largely welcomed by the international
> > community
> > (including the EU). At the same time, the US government has
> > consistently indicated that it
> > will maintain effective control of the coordination of key global
> > naming and addressing
> > functions and this is likely to mean that the problem regarding the
> > ‘unilateral oversight’ of
> > such resources will remain unresolved."
> >
> > Second, multistakeholderism is a nice thing that should be
> > "encouraged" in discussion forums like the IGF. ICANN, in contrast,
> > involves "private-sector leadership," which "must be maintained."
> And
> > public policy and ICANN's external accountability are for
> governments
> > to deal with:
> >
> > "As regards external accountability, the current arrangements for
> > unilateral oversight in regard to ICANN and IANA need to be replaced
> > with an alternative mechanism to ensure that ICANN has multilateral
> > accountability."
> >
> > "At the same time, public policies for key global Internet resources
> > (especially those that require global coordination) need to be based
> > on multilateral intergovernmental cooperation."
> >
> > So unless I'm missing something, the civil society kids are
> invited to
> > chat and enjoy in the back seat and leave the driving to the
> adults in
> > the front. One big happy family, all in our respective roles and
> [...]

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance
Graduate Institute of International and